среда, 14 июля 2010 г.

Week1. Addition to original

Here I wanna tell you some facts about Russian (don't be surprised) social media. 

This phenomenon appeared in Russian much later than in Europe and in the USA, but nowadays Russia has the world's most engaged social networking audience. 

There are two main networks in Russia: vkontakte.ru (translated as "in contact") with about 14 mil visitors and odnoklassniki.ru (translated as "classmates") with about 7 mil visitors. Facebook and myspace have 2% of users in Russia.

In most companies in Russia employees don't have access to social networks (what about US?) because it effects negatively the working process.

You should be careful with your pages because your bosses or your potential bosses can use the information there to know you better. So don't put pictures of you having too much fun at a pool party or avoid writing about how much you are fed up with you work and your boss. But I guess this advice can be given not only to Russian users.

Here is some more statistics:

YouTube is used only by 1,7% of people (which is very surprising for me)

Wikipedia - 3,4% (the same)

Livejournal.com - 34,4%

Blogger.com - 1,2%

PartyPoker.com  - 14,2%

Twitter - 0,9% (that is just coming to Russia)

Russian President's blog is read by almost 90 thousand people, so it's quite popular. Unfortunately I haven't found this information about American President. 

And in general for me it's quite interesting to compare social network situation in Russia and in the United States. So I need to study more American social media. 


5 комментариев:

  1. Thanks for comparative analysis. I think it is really explains a lot. I hope that changes in the Russian internet marketing will take place very quickly.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. Actually, I keep on studying Russian social marketing, and I have found out that this sphere is developing very quickly. We have special forums and meeting devoted to the problems of using social media in business. More and more companies are now aware of using social network to talk to their audience. And this questions are now being introduced in our education.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  3. Wow, I am really surprised by the lack of use of facebook, youtube and wikipedia. I can't believe the Russian president has a blog! What is the address for the blog? I would like to read that. How about chat roullete? I imagine a lot of Russians use that since it was created there.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  4. Honestly, I've never heard of it (I mean chat roulette)! I've checked statistics and ratings but haven't found anything.
    What concerns our president's blog, here are the links, but everything is in Russian there.
    http://medvedev.kremlin.ru/
    http://community.livejournal.com/blog_medvedev/
    And that is the link to the site where Medvedev published his and his family's income. The figures are funny: http://news.kremlin.ru/ref_notes/515

    ОтветитьУдалить
  5. Natasha, This is great and it is good to have you in this class. The sharing of your Russian expereince has increase my knowledge about Russia and has gone a long way to help me to understand people elsewhere which has added to what I have learned in my Intercultural Communication. Thanks for sharing with all the class.

    ОтветитьУдалить